Friday 30 March 2007

O Sister , the rainy season is here

I've been listening to this particular shabad for some time. The shabad i heard was a version sung by Bhai Anoop Singh Ji. I've mentioned it before here. Below is the full Shabad and it's English translation courtesy of Sikhi to the Max:

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Vadhans on Pannaa 557


vaddeha(n)s mehalaa 1 ghar 2 ||
Wadahans, First Mehla, Second House:

moree run jhun laaeiaa bhainae saavan aaeiaa ||
The peacocks are singing so sweetly, O sister; the rainy season of Saawan has come.


thaerae mu(n)dhh kattaarae jaevaddaa thin lobhee lobh lubhaaeiaa ||
Your beauteous eyes are like a string of charms, fascinating and enticing the soul-bride.


thaerae dharasan vittahu kha(n)neeai va(n)n(j)aa thaerae naam vittahu kurabaano ||
I would cut myself into pieces for the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan; I am a sacrifice to Your Name.


jaa thoo thaa mai maan keeaa hai thudhh bin kaehaa maeraa maano ||
I take pride in You; without You, what could I be proud of?


choorraa bha(n)n pala(n)gh sio mu(n)dhhae san baahee san baahaa ||
So smash your bracelets along with your bed, O soul-bride, and break your arms, along with the arms of your couch.


eaethae vaes karaedheeeae mu(n)dhhae sahu raatho avaraahaa ||
In spite of all the decorations which you have made, O soul-bride, your Husband Lord is enjoying someone else.


naa maneeaar n choorreeaa naa sae va(n)gurreeaahaa ||
You don't have the bracelets of gold, nor the good crystal jewelry; you haven't dealt with the true jeweller.


jo seh ka(n)t(h) n lageeaa jalan s baaharreeaahaa ||
Those arms, which do not embrace the neck of the Husband Lord, burn in anguish.


sabh seheeaa sahu raavan geeaa ho dhaadhhee kai dhar jaavaa ||
All my companions have gone to enjoy their Husband Lord; which door should I, the wretched one, go to?


a(n)maalee ho kharee suchajee thai seh eaek n bhaavaa ||
O friend, I may look very attractive, but I am not pleasing to my Husband Lord at all.


maat(h) gu(n)dhaaea(n)aee patteeaa bhareeai maag sa(n)dhhoorae ||
I have woven my hair into lovely braids, and saturated their partings with vermillion;


agai gee n ma(n)neeaa maro visoor visoorae ||
but when I go before Him, I am not accepted, and I die, suffering in anguish.


mai rova(n)dhee sabh jag runaa ru(n)narrae vanahu pa(n)khaeroo ||
I weep; the whole world weeps; even the birds of the forest weep with me.


eik n runaa maerae than kaa birehaa jin ho pirahu vishhorree ||
The only thing which doesn't weep is my body's sense of separateness, which has separated me from my Lord.


supanai aaeiaa bhee gaeiaa mai jal bhariaa roe ||
In a dream, He came, and went away again; I cried so many tears.

aae n sakaa thujh kan piaarae bhaej n sakaa koe ||
I can't come to You, O my Beloved, and I can't send anyone to You.


aao sabhaagee needharreeeae math sahu dhaekhaa soe ||
Come to me, O blessed sleep - perhaps I will see my Husband Lord again.


thai saahib kee baath j aakhai kahu naanak kiaa dheejai ||
One who brings me a message from my Lord and Master - says Nanak, what shall I give to Him?


sees vadtae kar baisan dheejai vin sir saev kareejai ||
Cutting off my head, I give it to Him to sit upon; without my head, I shall still serve Him.


kio n mareejai jeearraa n dheejai jaa sahu bhaeiaa viddaanaa ||1||3||
Why haven't I died? Why hasn't my life just ended? My Husband Lord has become a stranger to me. ||1||3||

Feel free to listen to this Shabad so beautifully recited...






No comments: